GET TO KNOW: The Talalay Latex and the Talalay Manufacturing Process
THE TALALAY LATEX:
Talalay latex is a molded piece of latex foam rubber that has been used for many years as the prime component in high-end mattresses, cushions, and pillows. Lately, it has become a popular choice for bedding material by direct consumers considering its exceptional qualities and long-term cost effectiveness despite its higher higher front-end cost compared to most other materials.
This type of latex is produced using a highly sophisticated manufacturing process known as the "Talalay," which was invented by Joseph Talalay in the 1930's.
There are two main Talalay latex manufacturers in the world: Talalay Global (USA based), aka Latex International, and Radium Foam (Netherlands based).
BENEFITS OF TALALAY LATEX:
EXCEPTIONAL SUPPORT AND PRESSURE RELIEF
(If any at all, notice that in the picture there is a minimal high-pressure area from the test performed on a Talalay latex mattress)
- Soft, no lump, luxuriously smooth to the touch: extremely gentle for achy muscles and joints and allows for proper blood circulation;
- Gently lifts you up While ordinary foams sink and bottom out, Talalay latex is like sleeping on a cloud;
- Its amazing resilience helps you turn if you need to. It bounces energy back to you;
- Its most uniform open round-cell structure makes it contour to every part of your body and respond instantaneously to each body movement so that every part of your body is properly supported all of the time;
- Highly consistent cell structure provides proper amount of support where it is needed.
- The ventilated and open round-cell structure of Talalay latex makes it extremely resilient and durable. Talalay latex is not known to break down or take body impressions,;
- Unlike most other bedding material, Talalay latex provides the same comfort all through its life,;
- Never requires turning or flipping, although it would not hurt it.
- COOL IN THE SUMMER, WARM IN THE WINTER
- Talalay latex is highly ventilated and extremely breathable, and therefore it is not a hot material and does not retain and build up heat. On cold days, it is warm enough to keep you cozy, but on a hot and humid day, it quickly dissipates sweat and moisture to let you sleep cooler.
- HYPOALLERGENIC, NO DUST MITES
- Its exceptional ventilation makes Talalay inhibit the growth of bacteria, mold, and mildew. Because dust mites feed on fungus and thrive in warm and humid environments, they cannot grow and develop in a Talalay latex. Dust mites are microscopic organisms that create fecal pellets and body fragments, which are allergens that can trigger true and serious allergic reactions for many people, inducing nasal symptoms, asthma, eye inflammation, or skin irritations and eczema.
- CERTIFIED HEALTHY (PRO-HEALTH)
- All of our Talalay latex products have been certified by Oeko-Tex (Europe’s highest environmental consumer product standard) to be free of harmful substances or chemicals,;
- Talalay Global states that all of their latex rubber products sold in the United States have been tested and verified to not contain any chemicals listed under California’s Proposition 65 and that they do not contain harmful volatile organic compounds (VOC) or off gassing chemicals.
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY AND RESPONSIBLE
- The Talalay process uses natural, biodegradable ingredients that come from renewable resources and water-based raw materials. Talalay Global does NOT use solvents in their Talalay process, and therefore does NOT damage the ozone layer. The factory does not use scrubbers or external filtration, and therefore does not emit harmful elements into the air,;
- Talalay Global features energy efficient lighting and its highly sophisticated manufacturing automation allows for optimized energy usage,;
- Talalay Global's multi-stage washer effectively minimizes and conserves water consumption.
THE TALALAY PROCESS: Creating the Most Comfortable and the Most Durable Material
The sap of the tropical rubber tree is nature’s source for creating the perfect sleep environment. The Talalay process, a unique eco-friendly production method, transforms this renewable resource into the world’s finest latex foam.
In summary, the process consists of pouring a frothed liquid latex compound into a closed mold, vacuuming air out of the mold, then flash freezing it. Carbon dioxide gas is introduced to gel the foam, then the mold is heated to cure the rubber as it gets baked into solid state.
Talalay Global's Six-Step Talalay Manufacturing Process
- COMPOUNDING: Liquid latex and other raw materials (that are necessary for the vulcanization, foaming, and rubber curing process) including zinc oxide, fatty acid soaps, and sulfur are mixed together in a temperature controlled, stainless-steel tank forming a proprietary compound mix.
- MOLDING: The compound mixture is transferred to the press room where it is whipped into a froth and injected into an aluminum pin-core latex mold. The pins in the mold create the unique aerated cell structure of our latex. The pins ensure that the temperature is evenly distributed in the latex, and that they all reach the same cold temperature and warmth. The pins also allow the latex to cure in maximum consistency. The tapered pin shape enables the cured latex to be released easily from the mold). The mold is sealed and a vacuum is pulled to extract air and completely fill the mold cavity with foam. Foam is then chilled at -20°F (-29°C). Freezing (unique to the Talalay process) prevents particles from settling and ensures a consistent cell structure. Carbon dioxide is introduced to gel the foam. Then 220°F (104°C) heat is applied to cure the foam as the core is baked into solid state.
- WASHING: Latex foam core is removed from the mold and placed on a conveyor belt that brings it through a five-stage washer, which removes residual soaps and curing agents using fresh water. The five-stage washing process is designed to ensure purity and remove any residual materials that could cause premature softening of the latex.
- DRYING: Latex foam core is transported to a two-lane dryer, which completes the curing process and removes residual moisture.
- QUALITY TESTING: Once dry, every latex foam core undergoes a nine-point firmness consistency test to ensure that its meets stringent quality standards.
- FABRICATION: Latex foam cores our expertly cut, slit, and constructed to meet our customers' product specifications.
- GLUED SEAM: Six-inch thick Talalay latex mattress cores are molded individually using either Twin XL or Queen-size molds. Out of the Twin XL molds come Twin XL latex cores that are used to fabricate the larger sizes. Specifically, one Twin XL latex core and a half of another are glued together to create either a Full or a Queen size latex core; two are needed to fabricate an E King; two and a 4-inch wide strip from another are used to make a Cal King. While Twin XL latex molds produce a versatile size, Queen size molds produce Queen sizes only. Queen sizes are more costly to produce, and they pose more hazard to workers' safety. Therefore in USA, they are produced on a limited basis only. Full and Queen-size Talalay Global latex sheets normally come with glued seam. On the other hand, we are able to offer our Full and Queen-size Radium Foam latex regularly as seamless. Note that the glued seam is guaranteed not to fall apart under normal use and is normally not perceived by someone lying on it. The glued seam is undetectable and unseen to a normal user especially if placed under a cover. The glue used is non toxic.
- COSMETIC IMPERFECTION: Our latex slabs or sheets are offered bare with optional covers. Note that they are hidden mattress components inside of your luxuriously and beautifully covered high-end mattresses. You may expect that some cosmetic imperfections may sometimes occur and will show only if the product is to be left uncovered. Examples are small tears, dryer marks, and air bubbles, which are not always avoidable during production. These are normal with latex products and will not interfere with their comfort or functionality.
- DIMENSIONS: The actual dimension of latex may normally deviate by +/- 1 inch from the advertised width and length.
- WARRANTY: All of our latex products have manufacturer's warranty. Note that the warranty coverage will not cover subjective comfort issues, cosmetic imperfections, normal wear and tear, or damage resulting from abuse or misuse of the product. Since these mattress components are sold without cover, it is the customer's responsibility to protect the product properly in order to keep its intended life and use.