GET TO KNOW: Dunlop Latex and the Dunlop Manufacturing Process
THE DUNLOP LATEX:
Dunlop latex is a type of latex that is produced using the latex manufacturing process called "Dunlop."
Dunlop processed latex offers exceptional support and cushion to the body in its own amazing way. Because of the type of manufacturing process by which it is produced, Dunlop latex is a dense material, and a slab of Dunlop latex is softer on the top and firmer on the bottom.
A solid slab of Dunlop latex is just like stacking several thin layers of varying firmness ratings in increasing order so that the softest is the top layer and the firmest is the bottom. The thicker the solid slab of Dunlop latex is, the more significant the difference that exists between the top and the bottom surface firmness.
This partly explains why a slab of Dunlop latex feels denser and firmer than a slab of Talalay latex of similar ILD rating. The ILD rating is based on compressing the foam by 25% of its original thickness. If compressed furthermore, not only that the remaining thickness is partially compressed, if the material is Dunlop latex, there are more settled particles at the bottom and so it is even firmer.
Dunlop is more commonly used as mattress base (or mattress core) component because of its exceptional density and durability and more because it is more affordable compared to Talalay. Although it is a more common core component of commercially sold latex mattresses, Dunlop latex is also comfort-choice for many sleepers.
If you sleep directly on a Dunlop latex, you will feel its solid and dense texture, regardless of its firmness rating. The softest rated latex will luxuriously cushion you on the surface, while the gradually firmer bottom allows you to feel support. As your body weight strikes the bottom, you will feel more firmness. Compared to a Dunlop latex, a Talalay latex feels more bouncy, and it springs back more quickly. Many customers prefer the "dead" feel of Dunlop. In the same light, many also prefer the more buoyant feel of Talalay.
Those who are looking for a fluffier and pillow-top softness prefer a Talalay Latex over a Dunlop latex mattress topper. Also, Dunlop latex feels less buoyant than a Talalay latex.
BENEFITS OF DUNLOP LATEX:
- Relieves pressure points that cause unnecessary tossing and turning, and it provides the best possible support and comfort.
- Highly resilient and offers many years of use and lasting comfort,;
- Never requires turning or flipping, although it would not hurt it.
- COOL IN THE SUMMER, WARM IN THE WINTER
- Its open-cell structure allows it to breathe and reduce body moisture to let you stay cooler on hot days and warmer on cold days.
- HYPOALLERGENIC, NO DUST MITES
- Its exceptional ventilation makes Dunlop latex inhibit the growth of bacteria, mold, and mildew. Because dust mites feed on fungus and thrive in warm and humid environments, they cannot grow and develop in a Talalay latex. Dust mites are microscopic organisms that create fecal pellets and body fragments, which are allergens that can trigger true and serious allergic reactions for many people, inducing nasal symptoms, asthma, eye inflammation, or skin irritations and eczema.
- CERTIFIED HEALTHY (PRO-HEALTH)
- All of our Dunlop latex products have been certified by Oeko-Tex (Europe’s highest environmental consumer product standard) to be free of harmful substances or chemicals.
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY AND RESPONSIBLE
- The Dunlop manufacturing process uses natural, biodegradable ingredients that come from renewable resources and water-based raw materials,;
- AVAILABLE AS CERTIFIED ORGANIC
- Just like the Talalay latex, the Dunlop latex is produced as either "All Natural (100% natural)" or "Blend" (natural and synthetic latex mixed in proportion). Dunlop latex is also available as "Certified Organic."
With "Certified Organic" latex, you are guaranteed that not only your latex is produced without any synthetic latex and is 100% Natural latex, it is also certified organic. The GOLS (or Global Organic Latex Standard) certifies that the raw latex used was harvested from rubber trees in plantations that were free of chemical fertilizers, growth regulators; livestock fed additives and 600 verities of commonly used pesticides in agriculture.
The GOLS is the newly introduced standard for sustainable processing methods of latex products from organic raw materials. It mainly addresses the standards which need to be maintained with relevance to processing, manufacturing, packing, labeling, trading and distribution of latex products. In addition, this standard concentrates on aspects such as human health, safety and welfare, and environment in the manufacturing process of latex products.
CREATING COMFORT- The Dunlop Process
Rubber tree sap is the primary ingredient in producing the finest mattress core: latex.
The Dunlop Manufacturing Process
- COMPOUNDING: Liquid latex and other raw materials (that are necessary for the vulcanization, foaming, and rubber curing process) including zinc oxide, fatty acid soaps, and sulfur, and sodium are mixed together in a temperature controlled, stainless-steel tank forming a proprietary compound mix.
- MOLDING: The compound mixture is whipped into a froth in a centrifuge then poured into a mold and steam baked. Air is induced to achieve the required density & hardness of the required product. Unlike in a Talalay latex process, the sediments in the mixture settle to the bottom of the mold as the compound is baked to its solid state.
- WASHING: Latex foam core is washed many times using fresh water to remove residual soaps and curing agents.
- DRYING: Latex foam core dried to complete the curing process and remove residual moisture and enhance the feel of the final product..
- QUALITY TESTING: The latex core undergoes visual inspection and checked for hardness, weight.
- FABRICATION: Latex foam cores our expertly cut, slit, and constructed to meet our customers' product specifications.
- GLUED SEAM: All of our Dunlop latex slabs or sheets are seamless except the Cal King sizes, which are glued on the foot area. Note that the glued seam is guaranteed not to fall apart under normal use and is normally not perceived by someone lying on it. The glued seam is undetectable and unseen to a normal user especially if placed under a cover. The glue used is non toxic.
- COSMETIC IMPERFECTION: Our latex slabs or sheets are offered bare with optional covers. Note that they are hidden mattress components inside of your luxuriously and beautifully covered high-end mattresses. You may expect that some cosmetic imperfections may sometimes occur and will show only if the product is to be left uncovered. Examples are small tears, dryer marks, and air bubbles, which are not always avoidable during production. These are normal with latex products and will not interfere with their comfort or functionality.
- DIMENSIONS: The actual dimension of latex may normally deviate by +/- 1 inch from the advertised width and length.
- WARRANTY: All of our latex products have manufacturer's warranty. Note that the warranty coverage will not cover subjective comfort issues, cosmetic imperfections, normal wear and tear, or damage resulting from abuse or misuse of the product. Since these mattress components are sold without cover, it is the customer's responsibility to protect the product properly in order to keep its intended life and use.